Info Technology Specialist II
Christopher Newport University
Newport News, VA US
This is a full-time pay band 5 exempt classified position which includes Commonwealth of Virginia and CNU employee benefits; and funding is subject to budget approval. (The salary range is $60,000 to $72,391, depending on applicant's experience, qualifications and budget approval).
The successful candidate will assist in maximizing the value derived from the University's databases and associated information technology infrastructure through enterprise software support and database administration.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent coursework, certification and experience that equates to a Bachelor's degree;
- Sufficient experience performing application development or programming in a production environment (sufficient years of hands-on development experience).
- Practical knowledge of systems analysis and design:
- Skilled at identifying application requirements by meeting with customers, observing business processes, and developing and running new applications and programs.
- Ability to develop plans to support new and existing applications by automated or manual methods.
- Ability to talk to customers about their business processes and strategies and develop computer reporting and application development strategies to support and enhance those business activities. Ability to implement those plans in the form of schedules, resource management plans, and delivered applications.
- Ability to analyze new and existing software, and determine effective ways to interface applications and share data between systems.
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability in programming and systems implementation with both client/server and web-based systems:
- Practical ASP.NET web application development skills, including design considerations, security implications, and interface and integration with disparate systems on a variety of platforms using different interface methodologies.
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio and software development/management methods and tools.
- Some understanding of software lifecycle methodologies, including source code management.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new technical skills in both team and individual project environments;
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through written and verbal communications with both technical and non-technical peers;
- Proven ability to model professional integrity and behavior;
- Proven ability to work independently to gather requirements, work with customers, build software, conduct testing, and ensure customer satisfaction.
At least one industry-recognized certification approved by CNU MIS, as defined below. In lieu of a completed certification, the candidate should have the required experience to complete the MIS-approved certificate during the probationary period.
- ASQ Software Quality Engineer Certification ? CSQE
- COMPTIA Security+
- COMPTIA Network+
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- CIW Perl Specialist
- CIW Web Security Associate
- CIW Web Security Specialist
- ITIL Foundation
- Microsoft MCSD ? Web Applications
- Microsoft MCSD ? Application Lifecycle Management
- Microsoft MTA ? Software Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft MTA ? Web Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft MTA ? Windows Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft MTA ? Microsoft .NET Fundamentals
- Microsoft MTA ? Mobile Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft MCTS ? .NET Framework, Windows Applications Dev
- Microsoft MCTS ? .NET Framework, Web Applications Development
- Microsoft MCTS ? .NET Framework, WCF Development
- Microsoft MCTS ? .NET Framework, Data Access
- Microsoft MCTS ? VSTF Server, Administration
- Microsoft MCPD ? Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft MCPD ? Microsoft Silverlight
- IEEE CSDP
- IEEE CSDA
- Oracle PL/SQL Developer
- Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer
- Oracle SQL Certified Expert
- PMI -Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- PMP - Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Developer
- Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master
- Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Professional
- Oracle Certified Professional, Microsoft Certified Solution Developer;
- Considerable experience with software management tools and processes, such as Git, PVCS, or Sourcevault;
- Considerable experience with Oracle database connectivity;
Special Instructions to Applicants
The University will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application, and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources by calling (757) 594-7145, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the need for accommodation.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will accept only online applications for all CNU employment opportunities (www.cnu.edu). Resumes and cover letters may be attached to the online application. Online applications must be received by midnight on the closing date indicated in a job announcement. Faxed, emailed, hand-delivered or mailed applications and attachments will NOT be accepted. Applicants are welcome to use computers located in the CNU Human Resources Office to complete an application. The CNU Resource Room is located in the Office of Human Resources, 1st floor, CNU SunTrust Building at 301 Hiden Boulevard, Suite 101, Newport News, VA 23606. Computers are also available at public libraries and the Virginia Employment Commission. CNU will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. The University will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application, and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources by calling (757) 594-7145 or TDD (757) 594-7938. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. Christopher Newport University, and EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity. After accepting employment, new hires are required to complete an I-9 form and present documentation of their identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Effective June 1, 2011, agencies in the Commonwealth of Virginia's Executive Branch will use the E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.